Solihull Moors 2-2 Bradford (Park Avenue)

For the second time this season, Bradford (Park Avenue) drew 2-2 with Solihull Moors, thanks to a late equaliser from Chris Howarth at The Autotech Stadium.

The home side took the lead as Peter Till found the bottom corner. However, the visitors equalised from the penalty spot following a foul on Paul Walker from Stuart Pierpoint. Jasbir Singh was unable to save Richard Marshall’s effort. After half time, the Moors were awarded a penalty and Ryan Beswick’s left-footed shot sent John Lamb the wrong way. But, with full time approching, a fine delivery from James Knowles found Howarth, and the substitute struck a low effort past Singh.

John Deacey made three changes to the starting eleven. Adam Clayton, Martin Drury and Charlie Clamp replaced Chris Howarth, Jamie Price and Nicky Boshell for the away side.

Following his impressive form, Alex Davidson nearly scored an excellent goal. After receiving possession, the striker struck a dipping effort from 35 yards. However, his shot bounced off the underside of the crossbar and Clamp missed the rebound from 12 yards.

Nevertheless, the home side took the lead. A long diagonal ball found winger Peter Till, who was able to dribble past his marker and side-foot the ball past the Avenue goalkeeper John Lamb from 12 yards.

With half time approaching, the away side were awarded a penalty. A cross-field ball from Chib Chilaka found the feet of Walker, but he was brought down by the Moors defender Pierpoint inside the area. Richard Marshall’s right-footed effort hit the legs of Singh, but the ball found the roof of the net.


After the break, the visitors were looking for a second goal. A pass from Drury was picked up by Nathan Hotte, but his lob was deflected wide. From the resulting corner, Adam Clayton met Walker’s delivery but his header was well saved by Singh.

On the counter attack, Till managed to hold off Drury on the right wing, but the winger was denied a second goal by the legs of Lamb.

With ten minutes gone of the second half, Marcus Bignot’s men regained the lead. The Moors substitute Beswick spotted Aron Wint, and his cross was initially headed by Clayton. However, a challenge from the Avenue inside the penalty box saw the referee point to the penalty spot. Beswick sent Lamb the wrong way.

The away side came close to scoring another equaliser. A quick one-two between Marshall and Davidson, allowed the striker an effort on goal, but his delicate chip was saved by Singh from eight yards.

As the game approached its final minutes, the home side threatened Lamb’s goal. A corner from Beswick was headed by the unmarked Gary Birch, but his effort flew over the bar from 10 yards.

However, John Deacey’s men scored an equaliser. With the Avenue keeping possession down the left wing, Knowles floated a perfect cross for the substitute Howarth, and the winger slotted the ball into the bottom corner past Singh from 10 yards.

The home side had a chance to grab a late winner. The Avenue defender Steve Mallory could not stop substitute Michael Taylor, but Lamb was alert to dive at the feet of the striker inside the penalty area.

But, the visitors had two opportunities to secure a dramatic win.

Firstly, Howarth held off Beswick and his cross was met by Tom Corner, but his header failed to trouble Singh.

Finally, Howarth caused further problems for the Moors defence, and his inside pass was collected by Marshall. The midfielder struck a right-footed shot from 25 yards, and with Singh stationary on his line, the ball narrowly went wide of the post.


Solihull Moors: Singh, Langdon, Gough, Denny, Elvins (capt), Pierpoint (Beswick 45), Till, Fleet, Birch, English, Wint (Taylor 77).

Subs not used: Acton, Knights, Grandison.

Scorers: Till (19), Beswick (pen 55)

Bradford (Park Avenue): Lamb, Clayton, Drury (Corner 75), Marshall, Knowles, Mallory, Chilaka, Hotte, Davidson, Clamp (Howarth 65), Walker.

Subs not used: Daly, St Juste, Quinn.

Scorers: Marshall (pen 37), Howarth (87)