Guiseley AFC 3-0 Bradford (Park Avenue)

Guiseley AFC progressed into the Third Round of the FA Carlsberg Trophy with victory against Bradford (Park Avenue) at Nethermoor.

The hosts took an early lead as Ben Parker was alert inside the penalty area and his left-footed effort flew past the Avenue goalkeeper John Lamb. In the second half, the visitors were reduced to ten men as Richard Marshall received a red card. As the full time whistle was approaching, two late goals from Gavin Rothery and Alex Johnson secured the win for the Lions.

In the opening two minutes, the home side nearly took the lead. A corner from Wayne Brooksby was flicked to Danny Forrest, and his cross was met by defender Jake Lawlor, but, his powerful header was cleared off the line by the Avenue centre back Adam Clayton.

With the wind behind them, the Lions continued to stretch their opponents, however, Rothery’s right-footed strike was caught by Lamb from 25 yards.

Then, Parker opened the scoring for the hosts. A short corner kick allowed Rothery to deliver a deep cross, and the left-back fired the ball into the roof of the net from close range.

With the Avenue struggling to cope with the pressure from Mark Bower’s men, a loose pass from Chib Chilaka was collected by Rothery, but his left-footed effort faded wide from 20 yards.

Eventually, the away side created a chance. The Avenue midfield duo of Jordan Deacey and Nicky Boshell linked up on the edge of the box, but after receiving a pass from Chilaka, Boshell’s cross was easily gathered by Steven Drench in the Lions goal.

A free-kick conceded by the visitors allowed the Lions an opportunity to test Lamb. From 35 yards, Brooksby curled an ambitious effort and the Avenue goalkeeper needed to tip the ball over. From the corner, the unmarked Danny Hall headed over from 12 yards.

The home side were forced into an early substitution as Forrest withdrew with an injury and was replaced by Craig Hobson. Following the change, the Avenue won a corner and Boshell’s excellent delivery was deflected narrowly wide by a Lions player.

Nevertheless, Guiseley AFC were finding space behind the Avenue midfield, but, as Brooksby cut inside from the right wing, his right-footed effort went wide from 20 yards.

With half time approaching, both teams were looking to score a goal for different reasons.

John Deacey’s men were disallowed a goal. A superb diagonal pass from Paul Walker spotted Chilaka, but his first cross was deflected back to him, but the ball went out of play before Alex Davidson converted from close range.

At the opposite end, Guiseley AFC nearly extended their advantage.

Firstly, Hobson pulled away from his marker and his header was cleared off the line by Jason St Juste.

Then, from a corner, Parker picked up possession on the edge of the box but his left-footed effort struck the crossbar.

Once more, Hobson was left unmarked at the far post, and his header was pushed away by Lamb from 10 yards.

After the break, the home side had an opportunity to increase their lead. After finding space, Danny Boshell unleashed a right-footed effort, but a deflection took the ball towards Johnson, and his volley went narrowly wide from 14 yards.

Again, Rothery was allowed to turn and run with the ball, but his left-footed shot flew wide as Lamb dived fearing the ball would find the bottom corner.

The Avenue came close to scoring an equaliser with three opportunities.

On the counter attack, the away side worked their way into the opposition half, but Boshell’s left-footed shot produced a fine save from Drench from 25 yards.

Minutes later, Drench was alert to run off his line and deny Davidson from a through ball, but substitute Tom Corner cut back his cross to the striker, and his left-footed shot forced the Lions goalkeeper into another excellent save from 12 yards.

Davidson had another chance to level the scoreline. A neat one-two between the striker and Boshell saw the Avenue captain strike a low effort towards goal, but his right-footed shot drifted wide from 20 yards.

Again, the visitors threatened to equalise. After picking up possession, Marshall drove forward and his low right-footed effort bounced in front of the Lions goalkeeper, but Drench quickly regathered the ball as Walker was waiting for the rebound.

In a dramatic final 20 minutes, the referee rejected any Avenue requests for a penalty as Walker went down inside the penalty area. Shortly after, the visitors were reduced to ten men as Marshall was dismissed for a foul.

With the Avenue pushing men forward in the final minutes, the home side sealed victory as Boshell slid a through ball to Rothery, who flicked the ball past Lamb from 10 yards.

Into stoppage-time, Guiseley AFC added a third goal as Alex Johnson fired home to knock the Avenue out of the FA Carlsberg Trophy,

Guiseley AFC:Drench, Holdsworth (capt), Parker, Potts, Lawlor, Hall, Brooksby, D. Boshell, Johnson, Forrest (Hobson 35), Rothery.

Subs not used: Harrison, Whitfield, Swain, Dickinson.

Scorers: Parker (9), Rothery (90), Johnson (90).

Bradford (Park Avenue): Lamb, Howarth, Price (Hume 79), Marshall, Clayton (Maxfield 62), St Juste, Chilaka (Corner 60), N. Boshell, Davidson (capt), Deacey, Walker.

Subs not used: Grayson, McMurray.

Attendance: 476