Guiseley AFC 1-2 Bradford (Park Avenue)

Bradford (Park Avenue) knocked out Guiseley AFC with a victory at Nethermoor to reach the FA Cup with Budweiser Third Round Qualifying.

The Avenue took a two-goal lead into half time. A through ball from Nathan Hotte was picked up by Alex Davidson, and his low shot went underneath the Lions goalkeeper Steven Drench. Then, the visitors scored a second goal as Richard Marshall’s right-footed effort found the roof of the net from 20 yards. After half time, the Lions midfielder Jake Lawlor converted a corner to reduce the Avenue’s advantage. However, the away side held on to remain unbeaten in nine games.

Once again, John Deacey named an unchanged starting eleven, as Nicky Boshell was passed fit prior to kick-off, despite leaving the pitch at Boston United in midweek with a knock. Also, Scott Maxfield and Adam Clayton were added to the substitutes bench. For the home side, Louie Swain made his debut for the Lions, having recently been on a month’s loan at the Horsfall Stadium.

Within the first five minutes, Michael Burns nearly scored the first goal. A cross from Gavin Rothery was directed by Swain into the path of Burns, but his left-footed effort went wide from 20 yards.

Shortly after, Swain had an opportunity to give his new side the lead. A through ball was picked up by the striker and his low shot failed to trouble the Avenue goalkeeper John Lamb.

The Avenue withdrew Jamie Price and was replaced by Scott Maxfield at left back.

Despite the change, the visitors tried to catch their opposition on the counter attack, but fortunately for the Lions, Paul Walker’s cross was cleared by the defence.

However, the home side were looking dangerous on the attack. A defensive error between Chris Howarth and Lamb gave the Lions midfielder Michael Potts a chance to score, but his effort narrowly went wide of the far post.

Once more, Rothery and Swain worked together to create an opportunity for the Lions. A long ball from the midfielder found the number nine, and his pass was struck by Rothery forcing Lamb into a fine save.

However John Deacey’s men took the lead. The Avenue captain Hotte drove forward and his through ball was deflected into the feet of Davidson, who struck a right-footed shot past Drench from 12 yards.

The visitors nearly took a two-goal lead. A block from Walker’s shot flew into the feet of Hotte, and the midfielder fired a shot wide from 30 yards.

The Lions were searching for an equaliser, and despite holding off the challenge from Steve Mallory, Swain fired a shot wide. Meanwhile, the visitors forced Drench into an excellent save as Boshell curled a left-footed strike from 25 yards.

Shortly before the half time whistle, Richard Marshall extended Avenue’s advantage. A corner was cleared but the midfielder managed to win possession and his right-footed effort flew past Drench from 20 yards.


After the break, Andy Holdsworth was introduced in place of Michael Burns for Guiseley AFC.

The substitute nearly made an instant impact. Following a save from Lamb, the midfielder struck a powerful right-footed effort from 25 yards, but the Avenue number one tipped the ball wide.

After Boshell was replaced by Adam Clayton for the Avenue, Mark Bower’s side reduced the visitors’ lead. A corner was missed by Lamb, and the Lions midfielder Lawlor tapped the ball home from four yards.

Nevertheless, the Avenue had two attempts to regain a two-goal lead. Firstly, substitute Clayton played a one-two with Chib Chilaka, but the defender’s weak shot was easily saved by Drench.

Furthermore, a corner from Walker was met by the Avenue centre back James Knowles, but his header flew over the bar.

The travelling Avenue supporters were nearly celebrating a fortuitous goal. A cross from Maxfield was floated to the far post and Howarth rose above his marker, but his header fell on top of the netting.

However, the visitors continued to search for the elusive third goal. A neat pass from Davidson found Chilaka, but before he was able to get an effort on goal, the Lions defender Ben Parker produced an excellent tackle to deny the number seven.

As the game entered its final ten minutes, a cross from substitute Paul Ennis was headed from the Avenue defence into the feet of Jack Rea, but his volley went wide from 25 yards.

But, the home side were denied a dramatic equaliser by the Avenue goalkeeper. A corner delivered by Ennis was brought down and struck by defender Spencer Harris, but Lamb produced a superb save to push the ball over the bar. From the resulting corner, Swain saw an effort deflected by the Avenue defence.

Also, the former Avenue striker had another attempt on target, and despite holding off a challenge from Knowles, Swain’s shot was saved by Lamb from 18 yards.


Guiseley AFC: Drench, Rea, Meynell (capt) (Burgess 75), Potts, Harris, Parker, Brooksby, Lawlor, Swain, Burns (Holdsworth 45), Rothery (Ennis 62).

Subs not used: Ible, Marsh, Dale, Worsnop.

Scorers: Lawlor (50)

Bookings: Potts, Parker, Meynell, Burgess.

Bradford (Park Avenue): Lamb, Howarth (Corner 79), Price (Maxfield 11), Marshall, Knowles, Mallory, Chilaka, Hotte, Davidson, Boshell (Clayton 50), Walker.

Subs not used: McMurray, Daly, Clamp, St Juste.

Scorers: Davidson (27), Marshall (45)

Bookings: Marshall, Chilaka.

Attendance: 595