Goole 2-3 Bradford (Park Avenue)

Bradford (Park Avenue) will face Farsley AFC in the quarter finals of the West Riding County Cup with a late 3-2 victory over Evo-Stik Division One South side Goole.

Jordan Deacey scored the winner in the 90th minute, completing Avenue’s comeback from a 2-0 deficit.

Fortunately there was not a hint of fog in the air, so the game could this time thankfully go ahead.

Avenue started the game off fairly well, keeping the ball comfortably and setting the pace, Danny Frost twice missing from range, and Joe Colbeck firing wide.

But it was Goole who struck first in the 10th minute, the extremely impressive Jordan Thewlis racing clear before rounding John Lamb in the Bradford goal and slotting the ball home.

The visitors struggled to recover from that in the first half, and needed a wonderful goal-line clearance from right back Chris Howarth following a cleverly worked free kick by Goole.

That wasn’t the last opening for the home side before the break, as Avenue were sloppy in possession and Bradley Grayson broke into the box but curled a shot just wide.

At half time John Deacey made a change in personnel as well as in tactics, replacing Jamie Price with Paul Walker, switching to 3 at the back with Danny Frost joining Brad Barraclough in attack.

But that did nothing in preventing Goole taking a 2 goal lead just 2 minutes into the second half. Thewlis once again did well down the left, and forced a good save from Lamb, but Tyler Williams knocked it into the unguarded goal.

That seemed to wake the visiting side who immediately picked up the pace, winning 3 corners in quick succession which came to nothing.

However Avenue did pull one back on 50 minutes through Brad Barraclough. A sharp move through Marshall lead to a Walker cross which was headed in by Barraclough.

And Bradford weren’t finished there as they drew level less then 2 minutes later.

Howarth slipped in Joe Colbeck out wide who whipped in an absolutely superb cross, which was duly tucked away at the back post by Danny Frost.

The keeper was picking the ball out of the back of the net from Frost less than 10 minutes later, but although it was hard to tell from the stands, the players and officials were certain that his mis-header had slipped through the roof of the net.

Frost continued to look dangerous on his return from injury, as Walker did superbly to skip past 3 players before finding Frost, who in turn could only find the side netting.

Joe Colbeck was excellent, according to manager John Deacey, and he tested the home keeper with a powerful effort on the end of a good move through Marshall and Jordan Deacey.

Goole continued to be a threat, however, and the game really opened up in the last 15 minutes as both sides chased the inevitably decisive fifth goal.

However it looked like the sides would have to face extra time until the very last minute.

Avenue won a free kick on the edge of the box which Joe Colbeck cleverly took quickly, finding Frost who’s cross found Marshall. He couldn’t turn it in but following a scramble, Jordan Deacey was on hand to prod the ball home.

There would be no fightback from Goole, as the referee’s 2 minutes added time passed fairly quickly, and Avenue progressed to the quarter final of the County Cup where they will host Farsley on the week commencing the 8th of December.

Goole: Musselwhite, Wilkinson, Adam, Nyoni, Sabo, Lawrence, Law (Gascoigne 66), Taylor, Grayson, Thewlis, Williams

Subs not used: Wooley, Harrison, Woodhouse, Fotko

Bradford (Park Avenue): Lamb, Howarth, Price (Walker 46), Marshall, Heaton, Priestley, Colbeck, Hotte, Barraclough, Deacey, Frost (Chilaka 90+1)

Subs not used: Qualter, Turner, Lever

Referee: R Wootton

This Saturday Avenue face Solihull Moors at the Horsfall, and due to the international break will be offering £5 entry to season ticket holders of ANY other football club. It is also free entry for under 16s. Please come down and support the boys and build a bumper crowd! For more details click here.