Gainsborough Trinity 4 Bradford (Park Avenue) 2

Bradford (Park Avenue) left Northolme pointless after conceding two late goals against a determined Gainsborough Trinity.

Dark clouds loomed over head at kick off meaning it was only a matter of time before the heavens would open making playing conditions difficult throughout.

Manager John Deacey made just one change to the starting line up that beat Gloucester City the previous Saturday with Adam Clayton coming in for Steve Mallory.

In the opening stages of the game Avenue were the livelier side and created a couple of good opportunities to take the lead. Full back Martin Drury found himself high up the pitch and he tested keeper Phil Barnes with an angled drive but the Trinity stopper made an easy.

Three minutes later Alex Davidson was in good space but fired a shot agonisingly wide of the far post.

The game then started to turn as the home side began to apply the pressure which led to the games opener on 18 minute. Striker Bradley Barraclough controlled a ball on the edge of the box and shot low on the turn into an open goal.

Trinity almost double their lead minutes later when the impressive loanee Adi Yussuf forced a save from Lamb following a strong run down the left but the ball hit Barraclough who couldn’t guide the ball into the goal.

Just after the hour mark Avenue were level. Davdison found Paul Walker in space on the left with a cross field pass and the forward drilled a shot inside Barnes’ near post.

As Avenue continued to push for a second Nathan Hotte tried his luck with a drive which sailed over the bar.

With half time approaching it was Yussuf who put his side ahead for the second time in the match. Following a scramble in the box the visitors failed to clear the ball which fell to the striker and he made no mistake by blasting the ball in to the corner of the goal.

At the start of the second half both sides had the opportunity to score with Davidson forcing a save from Barnes while Alastair Taylor fired an effort over the bar.

Eleven minutes into the half it was two a piece when Davidson collected a delightful through ball from Hotte and lofted the ball beyond the stranded Trinity keeper.

Nicky Boshell then went close to put putting his side however his strike from inside the box was straight at Barnes.

As the game moved in to the final 30 minutes it was the home side who upped the tempo and looked more likely to grab a third goal with Barraclough twice going close. Firstly he forced Lamb to push the ball round the post and following good work on the left by Dan Clayton who beat Chris Howarth he dragged a shot wide of the far post.

With fifteen minutes remaining player/assistant manager Darryn Stamp replaced Yussuf in a switch which would prove instrumental for the home side.

The striker had an immediate impact on the game when he fired narrowly over the bar after a good run down the left by Barraclough.

Lamb then had to be alert to make an excellent tip over the bar form Simon Russell’s long range drive but from the resulting corner Trinity grabbed a third goal. Ciaran Toner’s free kick was floated to the far post and was forced home by Tom Ward.

Six minutes later Dan Clayton sealed an important victory to lift his side clear of the relegation zone. A Liam Davis cross evaded Stamp but Clayton was on hand to curl a superb effort into the top corner of the Avenue goal.

Gainsborough Trinity: Barnes, Roma, Wilde, Taylor (Davis 72), Ward, Young, Russell, Toner, Barraclough, Yussuf (Stamp 74), D. Clayton

Subs not used: Williams, Batty, Lacey

Goals: Barraclough (18), Yussuf (41), Ward (83), D. Clayton (89)

Bradford (Park Avenue): Lamb, Howarth, Drury (Maxfield 45), Marshall, Knowles (Lenighan 85), Clayton, Boshell (Chilaka 68), Hotte, Davidson, Deacey, P. Walker

Subs not used: Corner, Mallory

Booking: Knowles

Goals: Walker (31), Davidson (56)

Attendance: 436

Referee: M Ackerman

Assistants: A Hull & A Guest