Bradford (Park Avenue) 1-0 Workington AFC

Chib Chilaka’s first-half strike ended the Avenue’s five match winless streak with victory against Workington AFC at the Horsfall Stadium.

For the game against Ian McDonald’s side, John Deacey welcomed back James Knowles from suspension, and Chib Chilaka in the starting eleven. Also, new signing Dean Bartle took his place on the substitutes bench as Nicky Boshell missed out with injury.

The Avenue had the first opportunity to take the lead. A diagonal ball from winger Paul Walker found right-back Grant Black, and his cross picked out Walker at the far post. But, the midfielder could only side-foot the ball into the hands of the Reds goalkeeper Danijel Nizic from close range.

As both teams were looking to gain an advantage, the visitors had two chances, but failed to trouble John Lamb in the Avenue goal.

A cross from left-back Kyle Brownhill floated to the far post, and Valter Fernandes was off-balance and nodded the ball wide from ten yards.

Shortly after, the hosts conceded possession in the middle of the park, and Anthony Wright drove towards goal, but fired a left-footed shot wide from 25 yards.

Then, the men in green and white broke the deadlock. After good play from Richard Marshall, Chilaka received the ball and struck an impressive right-footed effort from 16 yards that flew into the bottom corner past Nizic.

But, the away side continued to pose a threat in the final third of the pitch.

The lively Ben McKenna drifted off his left wing position to collect the ball, but, after twisting and turning, the winger blazed a shot over the bar from 20 yards.

Despite not forcing Lamb into a save, the Reds nearly scored an equaliser. A corner from substitute Sam Smith was met by captain Kyle May, but the defender could only nod inches wide from eight yards.

Before the half-time whistle, both teams came close to scoring a goal. V. Fernandes’ came off his wing to fire a fierce right-footed effort from 20 yards, but Lamb was able to deny the defender.

Then, at the opposite end of the pitch, the Avenue went on the attack as Marshall flicked the ball into the path of Walker, but his left-footed shot went wide.

After the break, there were few goalscoring opportunities, but, the best chance fell to the visitors.

As the Avenue were struggling to get out of their half, a cross from the left found Joe Jackson, who was able to drift away from his marker, but, the striker’s header fell wide of Lamb’s post.

After captain Nathan Hotte was replaced by Chris Howarth, the Avenue looked to extend their one-goal advantage.

Jordan Deacey delivered a corner to the far post, but Knowles’ header went wide from close range. Shortly after, Marshall, who was looking lively in a more attacking role, spotted the run of Black, but, the defender’s shot with the outside of his right boot was saved by Nizic from 14 yards.

Despite a late attempt from the Reds to grab a dramatic equaliser, the Avenue held on to record their first victory since 20 January.

Bradford (Park Avenue): Lamb, Black, Drury, Price, Qualter, Knowles, Deacey, Hotte (Howarth), Chilaka (Maxfield), Marshall, Walker

Subs not used: Bartle, Clayton, Beesley.

Scorer: Chilaka (25)

Workington AFC: Nizic, V. Fernandes (Allison), Brownhill (Smith), May (capt), Andrews, Lynch, Hoskin, Skelton, Jackson, Wright (B. Fernandes), McKenna.

Sub not used: Hindmarch.

Attendance: 269